The department of Parasitology came into existence in August 1960. The master degree programme in Parasitology started in the year 1994-95 and the Ph.D. degree by research was started in 1974. So far, 34 M.V.Sc. and 4 Ph.D. students have been completed their postgraduate degree successfully. The department is engaged in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research activities. Department is also in extension programmes to provide diagnostic aid and expertise as interdisciplinary help in control of parasitic diseases. More than 100 research papers have been published incorporating the research data in journals of National and International repute. The department is also engaged in giving lectures in short term training courses arranged at college level.
The academic staff of department is regular participant in several national and international congress/ conferences. Research work of two boys and one girl student from Denmark was also undertaken and supervised in this department. The staff of department is concentrating in the field of bionomics, biology, diagnosis, immunology and control of parasitic diseases of livestock and poultry.
The department has got various instruments viz. UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Laminar flow, Western blot apparatus, Hot air oven, Deep freeze, Homogenizer, Serological water bath, Deionizer, Zoom stereo trinacular microscope, Ultrasonicator, Horizontal gel electrophoresis, ELISA reader, Vortex mixer, Refrigerator, Monopan balance, Incubator, Zoom microscope, slide projector, OHP, micrometer, Res. Binocular microscope, Compound microscopes, Dissecting microscopes, Inverted microscope, Centrifuge machine etc.Close
Dr. S. W. Kolte
M. V. Sc., Ph. D. (Vet. Parasitology)
Associate Professor & Head
Cell No. +91-9822415538
Dr. S. W. Kolte is M.V.Sc., Ph.D. in Veterinary Parasitology. Currently he is engaged as an Associate Professor, Departmetnt of Veterinary Parasitology, Nagpur VeterinaryCollege. He is life member of Indian Association for Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology, Society for Immunology and Immunopathology, Bombay Veterinary College Alumni Association, Nagpur Veterinary college Alumni, Association Indian Veterinary council, Maharashtra Veterinary Council, National Association for Welfare of Animals and Research.
He worked as a Technical Sales Representative, Avipharma Industries Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai 1-5-1992 to 31-10-1993. Technical Service Officer, Tarkeshwara Hactheries Pvt. Ltd, Nashik 15-12-1993 to 30-9-1994. Livestock Development Officer, Govt. of Maharashtra Dept. of Animal Husbandry 10-10-1994 to 28-4-1996. Assistant Professor of Parasitology Dr. P. D. K. V. Akola 29-4-1996 to 18-3-2008.
He has following academic and professional achievements:-
Co-investigator in two schemes :
Effect of Coxynil on Pathology of Coccidiosis in Broilers, 2000-01
Disease Surveillance and DiagnosticCenter of Wildlife in Central India,2000-2003).
Research papers - 41
- Popular article - 01
- Guided Three Post-graduate students.
- Member of the advisory committee - 28 M.V.Sc. students.
- Actively worked in the Wild Life scheme of the Department of Vet. Medicine NVC Nagpur.
- Worked as a consultant for diagnosis of parasitic diseases in the Wild Life scheme of the Department of Microbiology, AbasahebGarwareCollege, Pune.
- Training programmes attended :-
1. Zoonotic Parasites – Their Diagnosis and Control.
2. Refresher Course on communication & Computer Technology.
3. Advances in cellular immune effectors system of farm animals in response to intracellular pathology.
4. Immunology of parasitic diseases.
5. Training course on computer technology.
6. NCC Pre-Commission Certificate Course SD-136.
Dr. Pratibha D. Jumde
M.V.Sc. (Vet. Parasitology)
Cell No. 8888839474
Dr. Pratibha D. Jumde is working as an Assistant Professor, at Department of Veterinary Parasitology, Nagpur Veterinary College. She has completed her B.V.Sc. & A.H. and M.V.Sc. degree programme from Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth, Akola. Presently she is involved in teaching U. G., P.G. courses, research and extension activities. She is holding additional charges of Technical Officer to Associate Dean and Research Coordinator, NVC Nagpur.
Before joining as an Assistant Professor, she was working as a Livestock Development Officer, Dept. Of Animal Husbandry, M .S. from 1999 to 2008. She worked as Veterinary Asst. Surgeon, Vet. Services ,Madhya Pradesh for the period of 1997 To 1999, and as a Lecturer at Ravi Dairy Diploma and A.H. College, Nagpur from 1995 to 1997. She has successfully held the additional charges of higher posts as an Asst. Director Animal Husbandry ,Regional Artificial Insemination center, Nagpur 2003-2006, Asst. Director Animal Husbandry ,Special Livestock production Programme Nagpur 2003-2006, Asst. Director Animal Husbandry ,Key Village center Nagpur. 2003-2006 and Asst. Director Animal Husbandry (Technical Asst.) MaharashtraState Veterinary Council Nagpur, 2003-2006.
She has the following academic and professional achievements:-
- Research Papers : 18
- Contributory Papers :42
- Extension articles : 04
- National Conferences : 12
- Radio talks: 03
- Research schemes submitted : 02
- Research Project completed:01
- Life member of Indian Society of Veterinary Parasitology.
- Member of Advisory committee of 6 P.G. students
- Dr. P.D.K.V. Merit Scholarship in the Year 1993-1995
- Participated in Inter University Youth Festival at Jabalpur 1994.
- Handled successful Administrative and Extension responsibilities during the charge of Asst. Director Animal Husbandry.
- Contributed in making Vision Document for Maharashtra State Veterinary Council also make peoples aware about IVC act, represented cases in High Court related to Council.
- Participated in ‘Sevantargat Orientation Abhyaskram Pune’.
- Established ‘Mahila Bachat Gat ‘of Buffalo unit at Village Kandri Dist. Nagpur.
Dr. Priya Jagannathrao Gawande is working as an Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Parasitology, Nagpur Veterinary College. Presently she is involving in teaching U. G. courses, research and extension activities.
- Before joining as an Assistant Professor she was working as a as Research personnel in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradoon in the project titled, “Assessment of status of tiger and prey species in Panna Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh”, 2009.
- She has an experience of working in the project naming “Immunological Control of Bovine Ticks in India” funded by Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR), in the year 2005-2007 and “Assessment of Bm 95 as a vaccine candidate against bovine ticks” funded by “Indian Immunological Limited, Hyderabad in the year 2008.
- She worked as a Veterinary surgeon in NGO (Animal Rights Fund), Bangalore, India, 2007.
- She worked on “Ecological traits of Monitor lizard (Varanus bengalensis)” in Vidarbha region, India, 2005. She voluntarily involves in rescue, rehabilitation and treatment of wild animals.
- She is life member of Maharashtra State Veterinary Council (MSVC), Indian Association for Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology (AAVP), Wildlife conservation education and research (Wild-CER), Asian Pterodactyl Counting Project (APCP), Emergency Relief Network Wildlife trust of India (ERN).
She has following academic and professional achievements:-
- Research papers – 10, Research abstracts – 43 (11 International, 32 National),
- Symposium – 03, Workshops – 06, Conferences – 06, Radio talks: 01,
- Three year experience of Hostel Warden of Nagpur Veterinary College, Girl’s Hostel, Nagpur.
- Member of Advisory committee of three Post-graduate students
- Educating forest guards by delivering lectures on disease management and demonstrations of darting technique.
- Awarded as a Lance corporal (LCPL) and Best Cadet for Shooting in All Training Camp with ‘C’ certificate in National Cadet Corps (NCC).
She has represented Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University in Inter University Research Festival (2007), Volleyball (2003/ 2004/ 2005), Badminton (2003/ 2004) and Cultural Youth Festival (2003).
- Bionomics and control of flies of livestock.
- Bionomics ,biology and control of ticks of livestock
- Epidemiology and control of helminthes parasites of livestock and birds
- Immunology and pathology of nasal schistosomiasis in cattle Epidemiology and control of haemoprotozoan parasites of livestock and pet animals
- Bionomics and control of ectoparasites of poultry and pet animals
- Studies on herbal ectoparasiticides in cattle , dogs
- The department has been participated in communicating scientific information on various parasitic diseases to livestock owners through a media viz."Doordarshan" , "Akashwani" , "News papers" , "Krishi Patrika" , N.S.S. camps etc. in local language Pashupatrika.
The department of Parasitology, N. V. C., Nagpur carried out research work during June, 2004 to May, 2007 under the ICAR Ad-hoc scheme entitled, "Immunological control of bovine ticks". The study conducted on preparation, purification and analysis of immune response of partially purified salivary gland antigen of Rhipicephalus haemaphysaloides ticks and in-vivo efficacy, which revealed the suitability of partially purified salivary gland antigen as a vaccine candidate for control of ticks in experimental bovine calves as evidenced by elevation in rejection percentage, engorgement and preoviposition period while reduction in engorgement weight, egg mass weight and oviposition period. In completed scheme Dr. D. K. Maske, Professor of Parasitology worked as principal investigator.
The research work under the project entitled, "Assessment of Bm 95as a vaccine candidate against ticks in bovine calves" funded by Indian Immunological Ltd., carried out during the period from Nov. 2007 to Feb. 2008. The present study suggested that recombinant Bm 95 vaccine can constitute partially good immunogenic for use as immunoprophylaxis against bovine ticks.Close
It is an important function of the department of Parasitology, through which the research observations are transferred to the owner of animals. Extension activities includes - Communication of scientific information on various parasitic diseases to the owners of animals through a media like 'Doordarshan', 'Akashwani', Newspapers, Krishi patrika, N.S.S. camp etc. in local language. The department has a unique distinction of involvement in special extension project (a) PKV in the service of farmers (b) Evolving package of practices for optimum health and production in livestock and (c) special extension programme running at adopted village regarding diagnosis and control of parasitic diseases.
Department imparts parasitic disease training to trainees of short-term certificate courses arranged by the college. The department of Parasitology has been providing various parasitic disease diagnostic services to students, field staffs, private clinicians, college hospital etc.Close