Livestock Products Technology
The Department of Livestock Products Technology (LPT) has been established in 2002 in order to cater the need of teaching, research and extension activities. At present, the departmental activities are being managed by one Associate Professor, One Assistant Professor along with one laboratory technician and laboratory attendant. One post of Professor as well as Assistant Professor and butcher are vacant. The department is actively engaged in processing of undistributed milk of CBF of the College since September 2009 and generated a receipt of over Rs. 90,000/- till March, 2015 through the sale of dairy products viz. khoa , paneer ,basundi, shrikhand etc .
Teaching Activities: The department of LPT offers courses in Milk & Milk Products Technology (LPT-311), Abattoir Practices & Animal Products Technology (LPT-312) and Meat Science (LPT-321) to the undergraduate students. Every year four batches of UG students are engaged in entrepreneurial training (ETP) on milk products as well as Meat Production & Processing and are monitored by one advisor.
The department is also having M. V. Sc and Ph.D. programme with intake capacity of two and one student(s) respectively. So far 11 students have completed their M.V.Sc. degree & currently two M.V.Sc. and two Ph.D students are pursuing degree programme in Livestock Products Technology.Close
Dr. Rajhans K. Ambadkar
M.V.Sc., Ph. D. (LPT)
Dr. R. K. Ambadkar is actively engaged in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programme since last 26 years. After putting nearly 20 years of service in the cadre of Assistant Professor / Technical Officer, he joined as Associate Professor of Livestock Products Technology on 27.03.2008 at Nagpur Veterinary College, Nagpur. He has guided 12 PG students for their Master’s degree in Dairy Science / LPT. Besides, he acted as a member of advisory committee of as many as 25 postgraduate students. He is recipient of best paper award for the paper presented in National Symposium at Bidar in 2003.
He has contributed significantly in establishment of Meat technology laboratory in the department of Livestock Products Technology at COVAS, Parbhani. He is instrumental in creation of teaching and research facilities in the department. He has participated in 13 conferences / seminars and symposia and presented research work related to technological process modification in the manufacture of various milk and meat products. He has more than 21 publications to his credit in various research journals.
- Indian Dairy Association.
- Indian Meat Science Association.
- Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health specialists.
- Indian Poultry Science Association.
- Association of Maharashtra Agriculture University.
- Indian Society for Buffalo Development.
Dr. Kishor S. Rathod
M.V.Sc. (LPT); M.I.A.V.P.H.S.
Mobile : 0 9850098409
Office Phone: 0712-2511259 Ext-221
Email : email@example.com
Dr. K. S. Rathod is actively engaged in undergraduate and post graduate teaching programme since 07/04/2008. He has good (more than one year) industrial exposure of meat processing technology. He has initiated a process for establishment of Milk & Meat Technology Laboratories in the department of LPT at NVC, Nagpur. He is also an instrumental in creation of teaching and research facilities in the department. He has successfully completed two research project; one as a Principal investigator and another as a co- Principal investigator. He is also a recognized guide for PG program in LPT. As a Major Advisor of Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Training Programme (ETP), he is conducting ETP programs for four batches in a year (two batches each) in the area namely "Meat Production &Processing" and "Milk Products".
Area of Specialization: Livestock Products Technology
- In the capacity of Principal Investigator, successfully completed a three year Research Project entitled "Assessment of quality & histochemical changes in chevon stored at different temperatures" funded by Department of Science & Technology, Government of India under fast track scheme for young scientist. The total cost of the project was Rs. 18.72 lakhs and duration was from 08/03/2010 to 15/09/2013
- As a Co-Principal Investigator, successfully completed a project on "A Study on State Wise Yield of Meat & Byproducts of Cattle, Buffalo, Goat, Sheep, Pig and Poultry." Funded by funded by Ministry Statistics & Program Implementation, Central Statistical Organization, Government of India, New Delhi sanctioned to ICAR- National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad wherein Dept. of LPT, Nagpur Veterinary College was one of the collaborating centre
- Recognized Major Advisor (Guide) for M. V. Sc degree in Livestock products Technology and guided one student successfully as on today i.e. 22/09/2015.
- Acted as Co-Advisor of 8 postgraduate students (from LPT & VPH discipline) as on today.
- Research papers : 19
- Technical articles : 03
- Popular articles : 03
- Abstracts : 20
Conferences attended : 09
Paper presentation : 04
- Recipient of a sponsorship by Dr. B. V. Rao Poultry Research Foundation (World's Poultry Science Association, India branch) Pune, during Post graduation.
- Reviewer of reputed journals like J. Meat Science, Agricultural Research etc.
Training programmes attended:
- One day training on "Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)" conducted by Food Safety Management Services, Pune on 22nd July 2006.
- 15 day training programme on "Application of Molecular Methods in Livestock Disease Diagnosis and Research" organized by Dept. of Animal Biotechnology, NVC, Nagpur during July 17 – 31, 2008
- 21 days training programme on "Technological Advances in Value added poultry production" organized by centre of Advanced Studies in Poultry Science, Veterinary College & Research Institute, Namakkal during Feb. 04-24, 2009.
- 21 days winter school on "Recent Developments in Post-Harvest Processing and Value Addition to Livestock Produce" organized by Central Institute of Post- Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana during Oct. 22 to Nov. 11, 2009.
- 10 days training on "Thermal Processing of Ready to Eat Meat Products" organized by National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad during July, 09 to 18, 2013.
- A short course on "Application of genomic and proteomic technologies in meat quality and food safety research" organized at National research Centre on Meat, Chengicherla, Boduppal post, Hyderabad- 500 092, Telangana during September, 07 to 16, 2015.
- Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health Specialists Bareily, Izzatnagar (U.P.)
- Indian Meat Science Association (IMSA), NRC on Meat, Hyderabad (Telangana state).
- Indian Society for Animal-Human Welfare, Nagpur
- Tamilnadu Journal of Veterinary and Animal Research, Chennai.
- Out eleven students who completed M.V.Sc. degree in Livestock Products Technology, five students are serving meat processing industries and remaining have joined the State Government Services.
- One of the M. V. Sc. students (Dr. Rajesh Wagh) of this department bagged first prize in 5th Inter-University Research festival (AVISHKAR-2011).
- Basic infrastructure viz., UV double beam ectrophotometer, water activity analyzer, Centrifuge machine, Bowl Chopper, Meat mincer, smoking machine, Sausage filler, Defeathering machine, Vacuum packaging machine, chillers, freezers, refrigerators, khoa making machine, paneer press, Gerbers centrifuge machine, cream separator, etc have been created in the department to cater the need of UG & PG teaching and research.
- Successfully completed three year Research Project entitled "Assessment of quality & histochemical changes in chevon stored at different temperatures" funded by the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India under fast track scheme for young scientist. The total cost of the project was Rs. 18.72 lakhs and duration was from 08/03/2010 to 15/09/2013 (PI- Dr. K. S. Rathod)
- Successfully completed a project on "A Study on State WiseYield of Meat & Byproducts of Cattle, Buffalo, Goat, Sheep, Pig and Poultry." Funded by funded by Ministry Statistics & Program Implementation, Central Statistical Organization, Government of India, New Delhi sanctioned to ICAR-National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad wherein Dept. of LPT, Nagpur Veterinary College was one of the collaborating centre. (PI- Dr. R. K. Ambadkar and Co-PI : Dr. K. S. Rathod & Dr. W. A. Khan)
The departmental staff is actively engaged in extension activities like exhibition, rallies, krishi dindi, lectures and group discussion with farmers etc. Similarly, farmers / livestock owners are demonstrated the milk as well as meat processing activities of their interest during their visit to the department.Close