Animal Genetic & Breeding
The Department of Animal Genetics & Breeding was established during the year 1963. The post-graduate (M. V. Sc.) degree programme was introduced in the year 1978. Besides teaching undergraduate and post-graduate students the faculty and post-graduate students take up research work in frontiers of biometrical and molecular genetics. In the year 2007-08, university has started post-graduate academic programme in the discipline of Animal Biotechnology, wherein this department is identified as one of the core department for teaching few of the courses of Animal Biotechnology. Similarly the Computer Cell Laboratory (a Central Facility) comprising of multiple computer components is also attached with this department which is actively involved in addressing student's & faculty Network needs (Internet/Intranet) in addition to the processing of administrative information for ensuring consistent implementation of University policies based on faculty teaching schedules.The main objectives of the department are:
- To teach the subject of Animal Genetics & Breeding to undergraduate & post-graduate Students
- To conduct research in the field of genetics, such as biometrical genetics, molecular genetics and conservative genetics.
- To impart "on-bench" practical training/demonstration to the post-graduate students for developing their skill-based knowledge in the era of cutting - edge technology
- Academic Programmes
- B. V. Sc. & A. H.
- M.V. Sc. (Animal Genetics & Breeding )
- M.V. Sc Students Passed:
During the past 33 years 64 M.V.Sc. students have completed their Masters degree department and are working in various fields and many of them are occupying important National and International positions bringing glory to the this department.
- Ph. D. Students Passed: 02 (By Research)
As far as academic and scientific achievements are concerned, the department has had its own triumphs and tribulations.Infrastructure
This department has sufficient infrastructure to conduct U. G. academic programmes. Well independent laboratory for conducting undergraduate practicals is available, however advanced laboratories for conducting post-graduate research in the fields of Animal cytogenetics, Molecular genetics, Tissue culture and Biochemical genetics still needs capacity building initiatives. Very recently this department has purchased Thermal Cycler, UV transilluminator, electrophoresis assembly and Refrigerated DNA micro centrifuge machines for molecular research work.Successive Heads of the Department since the beginning
- Dr. R. N. Deb,
- Dr. S. S. Ambalkar,
- Dr. S. N. Deshmukh,
- Dr. A. K.Gore,
- Dr. M. D. Kothekar,
- Dr. A. R. Sirothia,
- Dr. S. B. Nehate,
- Dr. G. B. Deshmukh,
- Dr. S. Z. Ali
- Dr. A.R.Sirothia.
Dr. Deepak S. Kale
M.V.Sc.; Ph.D. (AGB); PDF (Functional Genomics & Gene Silencing at CCMB)
Assistant Professor, Department of Animal Genetics & Breeding
Nagpur Veterinary College, MAFSU, Nagpur-440006 (M.S.), India.
Contact No.: (O) 0712-2511402, 2511406 (M) 9604747652
E-mail ID: email@example.com
To use effective & innovative teaching methodology to enhance Under Graduate & Post Graduate student's interest in the subject & develop quality human resource to serve the stakeholdersResearch Interest:
To conduct research in area of livestock production, reproduction, health & disease genomics to aid in enhancing genetic potential of livestock for desirable traitsExtension Interest:
To disseminate the knowledge about principles and methods of the Animal Genetics & Breeding subject to the stake holders for production of high genetic merit & sustainable livestockPublications:
- International: 02 (As first Author)
- National : 05 (As first Author)
- Gene sequences submitted to GenBank (USA): 11
- Popular Article: 01
- Practical Manual: 01
- Abstract Publications: 15
- Technical Reports: 04
- No. of Radio/TV Talks delivered: 01
- Faculty at Training Programme: 06
- Life member of professional affiliations : 02
- I.C.A.R. Merit Scholarship during B.V.Sc.& A.H. study
- I.C.A.R. Nominee for M.V.Sc. study at College of Veterinary Science & A.H. AAU, Anand-388001, Gujarat State, India.
- Senior Research Fellow (SRF) in National Fellow Scheme of I.C.A.R. at National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal-132001, Haryana state, India.
- Post Doctoral Fellow (PDF) in Wellcome Trust Project at Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad-500007, Andhra Pradesh State, India
DINESH VITTHALRAO PATIL
Assistant Professor (Statistics)
Department of Animal Genetics & Breeding,
|Sr. No.||Degree||Year of Passing||University||Field of Specialization|
|1||Bachelor of Science||1996||Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur||Maths, Statistics, Physics|
|2||Master of Science||1999||Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur||Statistics|
|Additional Qualification : GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering) qualified in,Mathematical Science in 2000 and 2003|
|Additional Experience : College of Dairy Technology, Udgir worked as an Assistant,Professor in the subject Applied mathematics|
|Sr. No.||Designation||From||To||University / Organization|
|1||Lecturer||01/06/2001||10/10/2003||Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded|
|2||Assistant Professor||13/10/2003||Till date||Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University, Nagpur|
Teaching: 10 Years
Administration: 03 Years (Drawing and Disbursing Officer)
Courses Taught (Approved by Veterinary Council of India and University Grant Commission)
The department of Animal Genetics & Breeding has been actively engaged for past several years in conducting research works on various aspects of applied animal genetics, besides other areas of animal breeding. This department has also embarked upon the task to assess domestic animal diversity using Functional Genomics of native germplasm of the region. The department has established effective linkages with IVRI, NDRI, NBAGR, CSWRI, CIRG, NEERI and NDDB as a part of collaborative post-graduate research on molecular profiles of farm animal genetic resources of Vidarbha region of Maharashtra.
Leads were obtained for analyzing few candidate genes viz. kappa-casein, beta-lactoglobulin and growth hormone gene related to milk constituents of Nagpuri Buffalo & ALAD & MT-2 genes implicated for heavy metal metabolism/toxicity studies. Disease resistance gene NRAMP2 has been characterized and cloned at nucleotide level for the first time in buffaloes in collaboration with IVRI. Similarly, Berari goat breed of Vidarbha was for the first time investigated for protein polymorphism in collaboration with CIRG, Makhadhoom. A total of four Research Projects were implemented successfully by this department since 1991 funded by ICAR/NBAGR. These are
- Network Project on Survey, Evaluation and Characterization of Nagpuri Buffalo (2001 - 2004)
- Network Project on Survey, Evaluation and Characterization of Gaolao Cattle (2004 - 2006)
- Associated Herd Progeny Testing Programme in Sahiwal and Karan-Swiss cattle (1992 - 1995)
- An Action Research on the Promotion of Rabbit Farming in Tribal Villages of Nagpur District. (1991 - 1994)
- Standardized economic traits in our farm animals for selection programs.
- Evolved BLUP technique for sire evaluation in Sahiwal cattle.
- Selection indices were formulated for rapid improvement of "V strain" of WLH.
- Evolved heat tolerance indices of Berari goats and its crosses.
- A design for associated herd progeny testing program in Sahiwal and Karan-Swiss bulls for a herd size of 250 was evolved.
- AnGR of Vidarbha region viz. Nagpuri buffalo, Gaolao cattle and Berari goats were characterized.
The Vision of the Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding is:
- To actively promote effective teaching, research and extension education
- To participate in the provision of breeding advisory services to the livestock farmers and stakeholders in a manner that sustainable genetic improvement in animal productivity of the state and country is achieved.
The Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding NVC, Nagpur has identified following priority research areas for next 3- 5 years duration for accelerating the pace of development in the field of Livestock Genetic Improvement Programmes:
- Conservation and development of sustainable livestock breeding programmes for food security and improved livelihoods
- Formation of Breeder's Clubs/Associations/Societies for Nagpuri Buffalo, Gaolao Cattle and Berari Goats
- Characterization of native breeds of livestock by advanced Molecular Genetic Approaches
- Genetic evaluation and data analysis software development.
- B. V. Sc. & A. H.
- M.V. Sc. (Animal Genetics & Breeding )
- To develop infrastructure of well equipped Molecular Genetics Laboratory for quick, efficient & cost effective implementation of research programmes.
- Formation of Breeder's Clubs/Associations/Societies for Nagpuri Buffalo, Gaolao Cattle
- Detection of DNA Signatures within Genes Implicated for Production, reproduction , Metal toxicity resistance & susceptibility traits in Nagpuri Buffalo, Gaolao Cattle & other livestock breeds.
- Genetic up- gradation & Genomic Analysis of Adaptive Economic Traits of Gaolao Cattle
- Genomics & Bioinformatics approaches for improving genetic potential of available germ-plasm
- Creation of Databases and development of Softwares for Genetic Evaluation of Animal Genetic Resources of Vidharbha Region of Maharashtra State
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES OF DEPARTMENT:
- Conservation and sustainable development of Nagpuri buffalo, Gaolao Cattle for food security and improved livelihoods of stakeholders.
- Characterization of native breeds of livestock by advanced Molecular Genetic Approaches for development of Marker-assisted Selection for economic traits and desirable health traits
- To breed and develop production efficient & environment friendly livestock
- To participate in the development and delivery of appropriate livestock genotypes as a source of livelihood security & employment generation to the livestock farmers of the region.